and then there were 5...

At a little before 11 pm on the night we brought the babies home I had this odd feeling. Patrick was a work....I went outside to check on the chicks.

1...2...3....4....5..... oh crap!

1..2..3..4..5.. oh no!

Called Patrick...no answer....sent him a text...CHICK IS GONE!

He called back in disbelief. I stood out there freezing with a flashlight waiting until he got home. I didn't want to try to chase chicks inside the run myself because there is no way to lock the door from the inside. I KNEW if I did that ... the door would swing open and I would loos them all so ...for an 1 and a half I stood outside listening and looking for the missing baby chick.

Patrick got home and with flashlights in hand we both searched...for at least another hour.

We think that she must have some how squeezed through the wire. There is just no other way out! We had NO idea they could fit through there. It really seems impossible. We now have chicken wire on the inside and 2x3 wire on the outside. We originally didn't use chicken wire because people said foxes etc could bite through it. So we opted for the sturdier 2x3 welded wire (and more expensive) to keep predators out. Now we have chicken wire to keep the chicks in!!

I am so mad about it :( WHY did we not just put them up like we had planned!! I wish us "newbies" had been confident enough to do what we thought was best. Lesson learned :(

The other 5 babies are doing fine :) The Welsummers are so incredibly sweet and beautiful :) The Barred Rocks yell at us when we try to pick them up HA HA!! They are settling down though :) I let them out of the roost every morning and they come running/flying straight to the food. Man these guys eat alot! ALL DAY!

0 comments: